Thursday, February 4, 2010

Prolonged Reading Prior and Subsequent to Visitation of Firms

I got up way too early today (7 a.m.), so I could make the bus for the Off-Broadway Tour with AdInk. We toured VML, which was pretty awesome (Gatorade came in for their first meeting as a client just as we were leaving). We had some pizza, and then went to Kuhn & Wittenborn, followed by MMG Worldwide (both awesome).

On the way down, I read roughly a chapter of Catch 22. I've been reading it for several months now, and I've still got about 150 pages to go. I find it troubling that I generally take four to six months to finish a book, even if it isn't particularly long. I went through a phase where I'd read three books at a time, switching back and forth depending on the mood I was in that night. One such trilogy consisted of Siddhartha, The Art of War, and an "unauthorized" biography about radio personality Dr. Laura (don't ask).

Anyway, I figure that if I'm going to take six months to read a book, it might as well be good. I've been trying to catch up on great fiction (classic and otherwise). I read Oil! by Upton Sinclair, which had its moments, but wasn't nearly as good as The Jungle. Fahrenheit 451 was fun. Lolita was probably the most impressive work of fiction I've seen. Soon, I hope to finish 1984 (which I haven't touched in years), and then hopefully tackle some Proust and Kafka.

No comments: